Every day has a colour in my soon-to-be-made Seven Rainbows hank. Such an interesting experiment it is! The fibre colour choice is presented here, and yes, I did connect the colours as I moved from spinning, or actually plying, one piece to another. There was some work with the joins to be done, as you could imagine. I needed to choose between two techniques that seemed to be the only ways to connect two colours.
Before the final hank was made I experimented with several joining methods.
Join A uses the loop at the end of one double to close (i.e. hide) ends of the following double. This method requires making an intentionally too tight twist in the loop area. When untwisting it for the purpose of incorporating new colour’s ends the looseness that could be caused by messing around with this loop gets minimized and does not show that much in the final joint. This is not a spun join, however, but more of a felted join or a knot, which makes this spot the weak part of the yarn.
Join B is definitely more elegant- two loops running into each other smoothly, no ends to hide. Perfect. Well, almost. If this method is to be used, there are two joins on the other two sides to be made of the loose ends of each double, so in fact this method requires working on two types of joins, which I would prefer to avoid.
And here comes the join C. It works fine if we look at the joined areas separately. Connecting loop into loop is easy and even. Joining ends to ends is also fine, similar to adding new ball of yarn using ‘imitate the twist’ method. However, the finished double differs significantly between the B and C type of joins. The singles run too think where the join C is made (obviously two doubles so four singles’ ends are worked in this spot), and since this join requires working with fine crochet hook to felt in the very ends of the ends, the joining place is a blend of neighboring colours.
After these trials were made I decided to go with solution A. It gives consistent join, even and clean transition from one colour to another, and–what is also important– does not require that much work as in case of the B and C methods. I treat this spinning project as fun so I do not mind the weak spot in the yarn.
Well, this whole experiment was quite slow- I worked with large wooden spindle and took my time on shaping the singles and doubles, which I would not be able to do if I were to work in regular manner (all the colours into singles first, then turning them all into two-ply).
Here is the first single in blueish. First I spun singles in Z working out all the colours into separate small hanks like the one below. The goal was to get a super bulky yarn that is why the singles were pretty thick- fun work! Testing all types of joins was more about observation on how the twists behave, and working with bulky singles was definitely a good choice- it allowed seeing every fibre and making this spinning training very useful for my future projects.
This hank is photographed after quite a long time on rest so the twist is pretty relaxed already but the last two colours from my palette had more twist into them. That did not really show in the finished yarn though.
And here are some photos of doubles. They clearly show that I went wild and did not really care about the consistent thickness. I admit that once I begun this experiment it became also a chance to try several spinning techniques, one aiming at getting half felted looking singles and another being plying singles of different weight.
It is visible how the ends needed to be worked in at the end of this project. The pink section is also the one where the loop did not have enough twist, which I wrote about above. Hence the loose white rowing showing through. It did not bother me though. A few touches with fine metal crochet hook and all the freely flying endings got secured.
Looking at the finished yarn brings smile to my face. Not perfect, very much time-consuming but so cool! Here is a shot of the yarn in loose version and after it has been made into a hank.
As planned, I turned my Seven Rainbows yarn into a squishy cowl. It is not so much yarn to work with, only 85 meters in 100 grams but look for yourself what can be made of this- my Seven Rainbows Cowl is ready and the pattern is there for you as well- everything to be found in this post.